Connect with us

Education

Lecturers of Technical Unis meet gov’t as negotiations for conditions start June 29

Technical university teachers begin strike today

The President of the Technical University Teachers Association of Ghana (TUTAG), Dr. Akurugu Bingana says negotiations with government on their conditions of service will begin on June 29, 2021.

According to him, the association was able to secure a letter to this effect after a meeting with the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations amidst their ongoing strike action.

Members of TUTAG are currently on strike, which kicked off on Monday, June 14, 2021. They are protesting against poor working conditions and the frustration technical universities encounter in getting accreditation for academic programmes.

The National Labour Commission had earlier ordered the leadership of TUTAG to appear before it on June 16 to be heard and possibly have their concerns addressed.

Speaking on Eyewitness News, the president of TUTAG said they had a positive response after a meeting with representatives of the Employment Ministry, which had the Ministry of Education and Finance in attendance.

“The new development is that at the end of the meeting with the Employment Ministry and Labour Relations in which we had Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance and Fair Wages all representing, we have at least secured a letter indicating that we will be starting negotiations on our conditions of service on the 29th of June. This has been one of our issues, and it is good that we have been heard.”

On when the industrial action would be called off, Dr. Bingana said such a directive can only be taken at the association’s congress.

Academic work in the various technical universities nationwide came to a standstill following the strike by TUTAG.

Some students of technical universities, interviewed by Citi News on Monday, urged the government to have TUTAG’s issues resolved immediately so academic work could continue.

Source:citinewsroom

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Soldiers, police allegedly assault protesting Kumasi Girls’ SHS students

Just In: Military And Police Beats Students Of Kumasi Girls Senior High  School - AfricaReportage.com

Some students of Kumasi Girls’ Senior High School in the Ashanti Region have alleged that they have been assaulted by a team of police and military officers deployed to the school to ensure calm on Monday evening.

The security personnel were to restore calm and order on the school’s premises after the students staged a protest over the insistence of school authorities on not allowing them to go home for the mid-term break, owing to a spike in COVID-19 cases in the country.

The school authorities’ position was in line with a new directive from the Ghana Education Service (GES) against the students being allowed to go home due to the virus.

But the students reportedly destroyed some school property in their protest, which led to military and police officers being deployed to restore peace.

The students however claim that the security operatives assaulted them.

Some of the students who spoke to Citi News on condition of anonymity said the soldiers broke into their locked dormitories, pulled them out and hit them with sticks.

Others said the soldiers stepped on them many times in the presence of their house mistresses.

“[On Monday] we started making noise, breaking veronica buckets and dustbins and other things, chanting that we wanted to go home and that we are starving… Later in the day, we were in the dormitory when soldiers came around and started hitting us with sticks and even if you are lying on your bed, they will pull you down and cane you. They stepped on people’s abdomen,” one student said.

She added that, “We don’t know what we did wrong. It is very bad. Our school authorities were standing there idle, and none of them even pleaded that we are girls, so they should stop.”

Another student, a prefect, recounted that the soldiers banged on dormitories and broke into them before proceeding to hit students with sticks.

“They banged doors, broke into dormitories and hit students. Some have red eyes and face now,” she said.

Another student said the school’s management has since informed them that they can go home.

Calm has since returned to the school.

Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah, who has also been speaking on the incidents where students from separate schools protested, told Citi News that so far he is not aware that any student has been assaulted.

Source:citinewsroom

Continue Reading

Education

Ban visitors from Achimota School: GHS in COVID-19 fight

Here Are 10 Jargons That Only Achimotans Understand - Kuulpeeps - Ghana  Campus News and Lifestyle Site by Students

The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has directed that visitors be restricted at the Achimota Senior High School to contain the spread of COVID-19 infection in the School.

Boarders are also not allowed to leave the premises of the School.

Dr Franklin Asiedu- Bekoe, Director of Public Health at the GHS, told the Ghana News Agency in an Interview in Accra on Thursday that day students were allowed to come to school with strict adherence to the COVID-19 protocols because they had been tested and statuses known.

He said as of Wednesday, July 8, a total of 1,118 persons had been tested in the School out of, which 163 had tested positive to the virus, 117 persons recovered and 46 persons active and undergoing treatment.

He said all those who tested positive to the virus were currently in isolation in the School or at an isolation center at the Pantang Hospital.

On July 4, the GHS announced at a media briefing that the Achimota Senior High School had recorded 135 positive cases of COVID-19, with a significant number of them caused by the Delta strain.

The earliest documented COVID-19 case caused by the delta variant (B.1.617.2) was first found in the Indian State of Maharashtra in October 2020 and has since spread widely throughout India and across the world.

Dr Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, Director General of the GHS said as a measure to avert the further spread of the virus, the GHS had begun education on all COVID-19 infections and preventive protocols at the School.

He said the Service would also review cases daily and discharge eligible students and staff on isolation, based on GHS discharge policy.

”Together with the Ghana Education Service, there will be enforcement of Infection Prevention and Control protocols on campus as well as strategic testing of all the day students to identify and contain further community spread,” Dr Kuma-Aboagye said.

The Delta strain was first detected in Ghana in April 2021, among international arrivals at the Kotoka International Airport, and that the strain was detected in the community in July, he said.

He expressed worry over the non-adherence to COVID-19 protocols, saying; “The confirmation of the delta variant in the community can cause an increase in infections.”

Dr Kuma-Aboagye stressed the need to enforce existing protocols on COVID-19 and assured of access to vaccines for the general population.

He urged the public to mask up, observe social distancing and wash hands regularly with soap under running water.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) labelled the Delta strain a “variant of concern” (VOC) on May 11.

The variant is now present in about 80 countries, including Ghana, and it is the most transmissible coronavirus strain.

Symptoms of the Delta strain identified so far include headache, sore throat, runny nose and fever.

More “traditional” Covid-19 symptoms such as a cough and loss of smell is said to be much rarer now with younger people experiencing more of a bad cold.

The WHO has warned that the Delta variant was highly contagious and the fastest coronavirus strain that would “pick off” the most vulnerable people in places with low vaccination rates.

Source: GNA

Continue Reading

Education

KNUST suspends SRC Elections, committee to investigate disturbances

Management of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), has suspended, until further notice, all activities leading to the 2021 Students’ Representative Council (SRC) elections.

The decision, the authorities said, was necessitated by a clash between supporters of two aspirants from the University Hall and Unity Hall, known for their long-standing rivalry.

A statement issued by the authorities, signed by Dr Daniel Norris Bekoe, the University Relations Officer, copied to the Ghana News Agency on Sunday, said a committee “is to be constituted to thoroughly investigate the matter.”

The committee of enquiry, the statement said, would make appropriate recommendations for the University to act on.

It said investigations revealed that the vetting for the SRC elections, which commenced on Saturday, July 03, at the Great Hall, proceeded smoothly, until it got to the aspirants for the SRC Presidential slot when the clash occurred.

“One student is officially known to have sustained minor injury in his palm from a broken bottle and is undergoing treatment at the hospital,” the statement said.

Additionally, some chairs, flowerpots and glass doors at the Great Hall were damaged.

The statement assured all parents and stakeholders that calm had been restored on Campus and students were going about their normal duties peacefully.

“The University will continue to provide a safe and secure environment for productive academic work,” it said.

Source:GNA

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Post Categories

Trending