The Ghana Police Service has said the driver of the truck carrying the explosives saved pupils from dying by rushing to inform the school authorities about the danger.
Director General, Public Affairs Directorate of the Police Service, ACP Kwasi Ofori, told journalists on Friday January 21 that upon receiving the news from the driver, the school authorities whisked the children away to a much safer location for protection.
Asked about the whereabout of the driver, he answered “Let me use this opportunity to also state that the truck driver is in good hand. The gentleman who was on the motorbike is also responding to treatment and for the driver, knowing what we he was carrying, was of help to the community here. He quickly rushed to the school, informed the teachers about the danger that at the time was to come and the children were quickly whisked away from this area to a more safer ground.
“He also announced to most community members to move out including the motor rider. But unfortunately, looking at the radius of the explosion the 13 died and the 36 who are on admission also sustained injuries and 96 with all manner of cuts were treated and discharged.”
ACP Kwesi Ofori further stated that the number of people who have died so far from the explosion at Appietse is thirteen contrary to the seventeen figure put out earlier.
Addressing the press on Friday January 21, the Director General, Public Affairs Directorate of the Police Service, ACP Kwasi Ofori said “It was misreported that they were dead but when they were taken to the hospital, the medical officers certified that they were not clinically dead and as such they were admitted and treatment is ongoing . So it is 13 and we should take note of that.”
Following the disaster on Thursday January 20, the Police said its preliminary investigation established that a mining explosive vehicle moving from Tarkwa to Chirano mines collided with a motorcycle resulting in the explosion.
“Reference to our earlier emergency public notice, the Police have taken charge of the situation providing security to enable the emergency workers including the Ghana National Fire Service, NADMO and the Ambulance Service to manage the situation.
“The public has been advised to move out of the area to nearby towns for their safety while recovery efforts are underway.An appeal is also being made to nearby towns to open up their classrooms, churches etc to accommodate surviving victims.
“Meanwhile, preliminary investigation has established that a mining explosive vehicle moving from Tarkwa to Chirano mines collided with a motorcycle resulting in the explosion. Most of the victims have been rescued and are on admission at various hospitals and clinics within the Bogoso Municipality.
Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has revealed that efforts are being made to rebuild the Appietse community near Bogoso which has been devastated by the explosion on Thursday January 20.
Dr Bawumia who visited the scenes on Friday January 21 said ” Government on its part is going to do everything to support the family, to support those who have been injured. Thankfully, the Ambulance Service played a major role in the rescue.
” For the houses that have been destroyed we are already beginning to think about how to rehabilitate and rebuild for the community.
“The president has given us the directive, I have spoken to the State Housing Cooperation inclusion with the Mining companies here we will quickly try to put in lace the facilities that will help those who have been displaced.”
“Government is fully engaged in all these process and we are going to see to it that the people are taken care off.”
Over 120,000 persons reimbursed after wrongful E-levy deductions – GRA
After the initial challenges that disrupted the first few days of the implementation of the electronic transfer levy, over 120,000 customers have so far been reimbursed for wrongful deductions.
Head of Project Management Unit at the Ghana Revenue Authority, Isaac Kobina Amoako, who made this known said, “the data we had for those who had a refund on 1st of May from one particular charging entity was around 120,000 customers whose monies have been refunded for 1st of May. I do not have the statistics for the other charging entities and for the other days that the reversal has been made. We’ve met Mobile Money Association, and we’ve seen that the transfers have stabilized.”
“People are now gaining confidence that when they transact with the vendors, cash is not affected by the e-levy. Cash-out is also not affected by e-levy and with the provision for also online businesses where they are being protected so that when you are purchasing online you don’t have to pay e-levy.”
He spoke to the media on the sidelines of sensitization by the Ghana Revenue Authority for some trade associations in Accra on the E-levy.
After many agitations and protest against the Electronic Transfer levy, it finally took effect on the 1st of May 2022. But it wasn’t without the usual challenges that confront the implementation of a policy, especially in its initial stages.
Some persons were overcharged while others had monies deducted from their accounts even though their transactions were exempted from paying the levy.
Many took to social media to vent their frustration with the situation.
But nearly two weeks into the introduction of the policy, some of these concerns have already been addressed.
The e-levy is a 1.5 percent tax on selected electronic transactions introduced by the government in the 2020 budget as part of efforts to raise revenue locally.
Source: Citinewsroom. com
I rejected monetary offer from US groups to drop anti-LGBTQ+ bill – Sam George
The Member of Parliament for Ningo-Prampram constituency, Sam George says his involvement in the push for an anti-LGBTQ legislation in Ghana is not influenced by money but by his conviction that LGBTQ activities are against the country’s acceptable cultural values.
Speaking on Citi TV‘s Upside Down show, he said he has been offered money that “I could have been sorted for life” by different groups in the US to back down on his anti-LGBTQ campaign but he has remained resolute.
“On this LGBTQ thing, if it was about making quick money, I could have been sorted out for life. Offers were made. I can show you messages from groups in San Francisco inviting me and saying let’s have a conversation that I should drop the bill. If that was what it was about for me, I could have gotten it sorted out, but you must have principles,” he said.
Sam George said his involvement in the process to get an anti-LGBTQ legislation in Ghana has come with several ramifications including being blacklisted from making currency exchanges outside Ghana which stems from allegations of money laundering levelled against him by persons who are unhappy about his campaign.
“The price I have paid is enormous. I know I may have been put on some international watch lists. You travel, and you get to an international airport and all kinds of funny questions are asked of you. They say I do money laundering and I cannot even change $10 anywhere in the world because of accusations that I’m being funded by some ghost group in the US. I am not being funded. I fund my things from my own pocket,” he added.
Sam George is part of eight members of parliament that have jointly submitted a private bill to push for the criminalization of LGBTQI+ activities in the country.
The bill, which they term as a ‘Bill on the Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values’, was presented to Speaker, Alban Bagbin on Tuesday, June 29, 2021.
The other members of parliament that joined in presenting the bill include, Emmanuel Bedzrah (MP, Ho West) Della Adjoa Sowah (MP, Kpando), John Ntim Fordjour (MP, Assin South), Alhassan Sayibu Suhuyini (MP, Tamale North), Helen Adjoa Ntoso (MP, Krachi West), Rita Naa Odoley Sowah (MP, La Dadekotopon) and Rockson Nelson Dafeamekpor (MP, South Dayi).
The bill is currently at the committee level in Parliament, where public hearings are being held by legislators.
Source: Citinewsroom. com
Universities, hotels, markets must also be wary of possible terrorist attacks, not only churches – Bonaa
A Security Analyst, Dr Adam Bonaa has said the caution issued against possible terrorist attacks in Ghana by the Ministry of National Security should not be limited to only religious gatherings.
In his view, all other places where people gather must be also be wary of the possible attacks.
Following the activities of terrorist groups in neighbouring West African countries, Ghana’s National Security cautioned churches against possible similar attacks.
The National Security assured that measures have been instituted in order to forestall these attacks however, the churches must also be on alert.
The measures instituted include installation of Closed-Circuit Televisions (CCTVs) in churches, as well as engaging the services of accredited private security agencies.
“In view of the growing threats of terrorism from the subregion and the expansionist drive of terrorist groups towards Coastal West African states, with a renewed modus operandi of targeting public gatherings including places of worship, it is imperative that precautional measures are taken by all stakeholders,” a statement issued on Friday May 13 said.
Reacting to this on the News 360 on TV3 Sunday May 15, Dr Bonaa said “What I can say is that the caution is welcomed, it is something we should have done probably, a bit longer but unfortunately, it is coming out now. I will say better late than never.”
He added “It is not the first time we are getting such a statement from the National Security apparatus . What I probably would have wanted to see is a more broadened caution, trying to caution universities, caution traders, caution hotels and caution places where even social activities take place for entertainment, for sports. Because we must know that when it comes to terrorism and where they attack, one side doesn’t take it all. What we have seen is something that has to do with religious facilities, I have already seen media portals pointing to churches.”
It is recalled that a report released by the West Africa Centre for Counter Extremism (WACCE) released recently said Ghana has managed so far to stay safe from terrorist attacks on home soil, yet the country has been so close to terrorism.
Already, the report said, more than 13 Ghanaians are believed to have travelled to fight with terrorist groups since 2015. Up to twenty three (23) others have been dissuaded from leaving to join extremist groups.
“Ghana’s first recorded case was Nazir Alema Nortey3 , a young university graduate, who shockingly left the country in august 2015 to join ISIS before sending a message back to his parents to announce his new found cause.
“He was killed in Syria by April 2016. Professor Kofi Awoonor, a renowned Ghanaian poet and academic, was killed in the West Gate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya when Al Shabab fighters besieged the mall in 2013,” the report said.
The threat has been menacingly and quickly spread, occurring through a spill over phenomenon, has ravaged the Northern borders of not only Burkina Faso but also of Ivory Coast, Benin and Togo recently. With all its direct neighbors under attacks, Ghana has descending from the Sahel towards Coastal States in the last five years.
“Even though the fatality numbers are presently down from the peak of over 7,200 in the region in 2014, the threat has increased in complexity and geographical spread. Today 53% of all ECOWAS now been encircled by the threat. These developments are dangerous for Ghana.
“Ghana’s proximity to these countries (Burkina Faso to the North, Benin and Togo to the East and Ivory Coast to the West) exposes the country to extremist recruitment or attacks or both,” it added.
It further stated that the “unending Bawku chieftaincy conflict, the ethnic tensions in Northern Ghana and the unresolved challenge of Western Togoland separatists in the Eastern border regions amplify the risks.”
News3 months ago
Court directs NLC and UTAG to return to negotiation table
Sports3 months ago
Black Stars captain Andre Ayew to appear before parliament over 2021 AFCON campaign
Crime3 months ago
Police foil attempted robbery attack on bullion van in Accra
Crime2 months ago
Ho residents living in fear following recent killings
News3 months ago
National Academy of Students’ Achievement Awards Ghana appoints new General Secretary
News2 months ago
National Academy of Students’ Achievement Awards Ghana unveils, swears Board of Trustees (Photos)
News2 months ago
Supreme Court to give judgement on Richard Sky’s suit on 2022 budget rejection, approval
Business2 months ago
Support women to attain financial independence— Asare Nyarko