Connect with us

News

Complete the projects I left for you – Mahama to Akufo-Addo

John Dramani Mahama - Statement in solidarity with Regions under military  siege

 Former President, Mr John Dramani Mahama, has urged the government to complete the numerous development projects initiated by the NDC government which have been abandoned in the Ashanti region.

He said the strategic location of Ashanti, which was the second-largest region in the country, made it critical in terms of trade, commerce, agriculture, industry, tourism, and others.

It was therefore important for every government to provide the needed infrastructure for it to remain resilient to support national development and progress.

That was the reason the NDC government, under his leadership, initiated some development projects in the areas of education, health, water, road networks among others, to improve the lives of the people and strengthen the capacities of the people to support the national development agenda.

These projects, according to him, had been abandoned by the NPP government under the leadership of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.

Speaking during a radio interview in Kumasi as part of his ‘thank you’ tour of the Ashanti region, former President Mahama, pointed out that the decision by the government to abandon all the projects his government initiated in the country, was seriously hampering the development and progress of the country.

He said when given the mandate, the next NDC government would use the first two years in office to complete all abandoned projects in the country before new ones were started.

Former President Mahama blamed the current economic challenges and unemployment situation facing the country on bad economic policies embarked upon by the NPP government, such as the collapse of indigenous banks in the country.

“Governance is a common sense and not big, big and long English” he stated, adding that, “economic measures should be able to make the environment friendly for the people to go about their businesses without discrimination based on political affiliation”.

Former President Mahama said the NDC would continue its advocacy work on its electoral reform proposals presented to the Electoral Commission to ensure that the country’s electoral processes were improved to deliver fair, peaceful, and transparent elections going forward.

Mr Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, National Chairman of the party, said Ashanti remained one of the critical regions for the party since it had seen increases in popular votes in recent elections.

He commended the leadership of the party in the region for their hard work and urged the rank and file of the party to continue to work hard to increase the fortunes of the party in the 2024 general elections.

Source :GNA

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

We need White Canes for Members-Ghana Blind Union

The Ghana Blind Union (GBU) has made a passionate appeal to the government and members of the public to provide white canes for its members to facilitate their movement.

The appeal comes as the Union is preparing to celebrate the International White Cane Day, which falls on October 15, every year.

White cane is a tool which is a symbol of the blind or partially sighted persons, which enables them to be mobile and walk freely in their environment.

It also serves as an identity and informs the sighted world that there are visually impaired persons and therefore, they should give recognition and respect to the white canes when walking around or crossing the road.

In a statement made available to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi, the Union said the white cane enabled members to know the things around them or their environment and made them independent in their daily activities.

According to the statement, although a large percentage of the partially impaired persons required the white canes, many of them were unable to afford them due to their weak financial situation.

The Union therefore urged individuals, NGO’s, religious groups and other public-spirited organizations to come to their aid with financial support to acquire the white canes, since they were expensive and were not produced in Ghana.

Continue Reading

News

Hairdresser in court for pouring hot water on “stubborn” son

 A 42-year-old hairdresser who poured hot water on his 19-year-old son for being stubborn has appeared before an Accra Circuit Court charged with causing harm.

Cynthia Owusu, a mother of three, is said to have poured the hot water on the victim while he was asleep.

Accused after the act, allegedly abandoned the victim and her siblings until the landlord smelt a stench from the accused room and sent the victim to the hospital.

She has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The court presided over by Mrs Christina Cann admitted Cynthia to bail in the sum of GH¢80,000 with three sureties two to be public servants earning not less than GH¢4,000 as net salary at the end of the month.

The sureties are also to deposit copies of their Ghana Card at the Registry pending the final determination of the case.

The matter has been adjourned to October 27 for case management conference.

The victim Kofi Asirifi is receiving treatment.

Prosecution led by Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire said the complainant is a Retired Educationist and landlord to the accused and they reside at Kisseman, near Achimota.

Chief Inspector Atimbire said on September 7, this year at 12:30am, Cynthia intentionally poured hot water on the victim while he was sleep.

Prosecution said accused said the victim was stubborn.

The prosecutor said the accused after committing the crime abandoned the victim in her room together with the other siblings.

Chief Inspector Atimbire said the complainant smelt an unusual scent emanating from the accused room and called the accused person’s daughter, one Salomey Atati to accompany him to the room and to his surprise, he saw the victim burned with the hot water.

Prosecution said the complainant and some witnesses escorted the victim to the Greater Accra Regional Hospital where he was admitted.

On September 11, this year, prosecution said at about 1000 hours, the complainant reported the matter to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit at Tesano.

Later accused was arrested and a caution statement was obtained from her.
Source :GNA

Continue Reading

News

Catholic Church opens doors for victims to report sexual abuse cases

The Roman Catholic Church-Ghana, the Accra Diocese to be precise, has begun investigations into allegations of sexual abuses levelled against some priests.

A letter written by a member of the Star of the Sea Catholic Church in Dansoman on Friday, September 24 notified the Metropolitan Archbishop of Accra about the several cases of sexual abuse against members.

In a swift response, just four days later, Most Reverend John Bonaventure Kwofie gave an assurance that the cases would be looked into as he makes arrangement for the lady to meet the Accra Archdiocesan Officer in charge of Sexual Abuse Cases “to furnish him with all the information you have on this matter”.

Speaking on TV3‘s Midday Live on Monday, October 11, Reverend Father Wisdom Larweh, who is the Priest in charge of Child Abuse and Clerical Sexual Abuse Cases, admitted that it takes courage for one to come out to complain about such cases.

“Sometimes, a lot of shame and embarrassment go into this and it takes very strong-willed persons to step out and say I have suffered this and I have gone through this and so I need some redress,” Rev Fr Larweh told news presenter Komla Adom.

But he assured that the Roman Catholic Church will go all lengths to ensure that it gets to the bottom of each reported case.

“I don’t think the church will on any day distress someone or do anything to ask anyone to discontinue an effort that is meant to unravel any situation of abuse or somebody suffering any violence in the hand of a cleric of the church.

“I don’t think that will be encouraged. This is all part of the reason why such office will be functioning and just to assure the listening public and the viewing public that on any day, if there are any of such situations kindly do not hesitate to report them to us so that the church can take up the matter and we will try as much as possible to do the best that we can.”

The Roman Catholic Church across the world has in the last few decades been plagued with an avalanche of child abuse accusations.

The most recent being the abuse of 216,000 children by members of the clergy in France since 1950.

A Vatican statement said Pope Francis “felt pain” over the findings, and expressed hopes for a “path of redemption”.

Rev Fr Larweh said the cases in Accra will not be covered up, neither will they be dealt with openly in order for the identity of victims to be protected.

Source:3 News

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Post Categories

Trending