Connect with us

Entertainment

Akuapem Poloo convicted for taking nude photos with son; sentencing set for Friday

Ghanaian actress and social media sensation, Rosemond Brown, popularly known as Akuapem Poloo, has been convicted by an Accra Circuit Court presided over by Mrs. Christiana Cann.

This happened after she pleaded guilty in court today, Wednesday, April 14, 2021, for posting obscene photos of herself and her seven-year-old son on social media in June last year.

She has, therefore, been remanded into custody.

The court has deferred her sentencing to Friday, April 16, 2021.

This is to enable her to undergo a pregnancy test in compliance with the law regarding a woman who has pleaded guilty in court.

In November last year when she was arraigned, she pleaded not guilty, but in court today, she changed her plea from not guilty to guilty.

She pleaded guilty to all three charges and was convicted on her own plea by the court.

Rosemond was charged with publication of obscene material, and two counts of engaging in domestic violence.

Background

On June 30, 2020, Rosemond celebrated her son’s seventh birthday and took her nude pictures together with her son, who was also half-naked and posted same on her Instagram page, which went viral on social media.

The pictures attracted comments which accused her of undermining the dignity of her seven-year-old son among others.

The prosecution said the complainant, Mr. Bright K. Appiah, who is the Director of Child Rights International Ghana, petitioned the Director-General CID, and the matter was referred to the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU).

Rosemond, the prosecution said, was arrested and in her caution statement, admitted posting the nude picture with her son unintentionally.

A write-up accompanying the picture read: “I am naked in front of you because this is how naked I was giving birth to you, so in case you find me lying somewhere don’t pass by but see me as your mom who brought you to life.”

Source:citinewsroom

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Contempt case against Rex Omar, 14 others adjourned to May 17

Mr.Rex Omar

The Accra Human Rights Court yesterday adjourned to May 17, 2021, the case in which a lawyer is seeking the court to jail musician, Rex Omar, and 14  others for contempt of court.

Mr Gabriel Awunyo, who is representing George William Dickson, veteran musician, Akosua Adjepong, and two others, was in court on Wednesday to move the contempt motion against the respondents, but was told the presiding judge, Justice Gifty Addo was indisposed.

Mr Awunyo has stated that the respondents disrespected the court by electing board members of Ghana Music Rights Organisation (GHAMRO) when there was a pending suit concerning the election.

His said his clients filed the instant action in their capacity as members of GHAMRO, a company Limited by guarantee and registered under the laws of Ghana.

On November 4, 2020, the applicants initiated action against the respondents, who are board members of GHAMRO, and subsequently served respondents with the process.

The applicants said they wanted the court to injunct the election of members to the GHAMRO board until the final determination of the matter.

The applicants averred that since the commencement of the action, Yaw Oxbon, a respondent, had at all material times represented the respondents in court.

In the affidavit in support of the motion to commit the respondents to prison for contempt of court, counsel for applicants, Mr Awunyo stated that the respondents had openly discussed the matter on radio, television and on social media how they were determined to go on with the election of new board members of GHAMRO regardless of the lawsuit.

He said the contempt shown by the respondents followed an entrenched pattern of behavior over the years.

The applicants said they also filed another application and served on the respondents specifically to restrain them  from holding elections to appoint a new board, and that the respondents were in court on April 15, this year, to confirm that the applicants’ interlocutory application was served on them.

However, the respondents went ahead to elect members on the April 19, 2021, the night before the motion was to be heard.

The conduct of the respondents, the lawyer argued was likely to prejudice a fair hearing of the motion.

He said the respondents were doing this with the full knowledge that there was a pending suit for injunction application which had been served on them seeking to restrain them from electing a new board, but continued unjustly enrich themselves at the expense of the members.

Mr Awunyo contends that the only intent of the respondents was to bring the authority and administration of the law into disrespect and interfere with the pending litigation.

Source: GhanaianTimes

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Galamsey taskforce picks 4 persons in Esiama

Gold, guns and China: Ghana's fight to end galamsey | African Arguments

Operation Vanguard, the task force tasked to fight illegal mining, has arrested four illegal small-scale miners at Esiamain the Ellembelle District of the Western Region.

The team, led by Head of the Tarkwa office of the Operation Vanguard, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Nana Asomaning, swooped on the hideouts of the suspects inthe forest along the Esiama highway.

He told journalists the team could work effectively only when people volunteer information and, therefore, urged the communities to help in the fight against illegal mining.

The galamseyers, he said, wielded cutlasses and other implements which made encounter with them deadly.

“The destruction of water bodies and lands was becoming a national security threat, [and this] must be understood, appreciated for the clamp-down to be done through collective efforts of the citizenry,” the Head of Operation Vanguard added.

Meanwhile, the Western Regional Minister, Kwabena Okyere Darko–Mensah, on Wednesday, led a team from  Operation Vanguard  to conduct an exercise on River Tano at Samreboi in  the Amenfi West District.

Sixteen excavators were seized and handed over tothe Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, according to official reports from the Regional Security Council(REGSEC).

The operation, dubbed ‘Operation Clean Water Bodies’, was aimed at stopping activities ofillegal miners on Ghana’s water bodies.

The  operation  uncovered that the illegal  miners  used  huge excavators  to excavate alarge  expanse of land  and  also re-channel the course of River Tano to a galamesy site at Samreboi.

Again, they had degraded water courses and destroyed trees serving as forest cover in the Samreboi environment. Another feature of the galamseyers was that they had created makeshift domes to facilitate their operations.

Mr Darko-Mensah indicated that the exercise would continue “until we have clean water bodies in the region.”

He charged the Metropolitan, Municipal and   District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) to ensure sanity in the system for the operation to be successful.

Earlier, on a tour with the Sanitation and Water Resources Minister at Bonsa River on Tuesday,  to assess the impact of illegal mining on the river, he warned chiefs involved in illegal mining to backoff before the security agencies clamp down on them.

Mr Darko-Mensah disclosed that investigations conducted by REGSECrevealed that some chiefs were deeply involved in galamsey activities.

Most of illegal miners have the support of chiefs, which makes it difficult to win the fight against galamsey, he noted.

“There is an Akan adage which says, ‘if you are driving away the chickens and they are not leaving, it simply means the mother is hiding around’, so any chief involved or aiding illegal miners won’t be spared,” he stressed

CAPTION PICS1, 2, 5 show the havoc caused by the illegal miners at the River Tano site at Samreboi in WassaAmenfi West.

Pic3, 4 Regional Minister Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah (in cap) and team inspecting the Samreboi site with the excavators at the background.

FROM CLEMENT ADZEI BOYE, ESSIAMA

Source:GhanaianTimes

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Akuapem Poloo granted GHS80,000 bail

Social media sensation, Rosemond Brown, known in showbiz as Akuapem Poloo, has been granted bail by the Criminal Division of the High Court pending an appeal filed by her lawyer against her 90-day jail sentence.

She was granted bail in the sum of GHS80,000 with two sureties.

In addition to the bail, she is to report to the case investigator every two weeks and is to deposit her passport with the registrar of the court.

Akuapem Poloo was handed a 90-day jail term for publishing obscene material and violating the dignity and integrity of her 7-year-old son in a nude photo she posted social media.

Since the ruling was made, some people, especially showbiz personalities, have condemned the punishment meted out to her. They also signed a petition in a bid to have her freed.

Rosemond Brown, who was given the 90-day jail term following her conviction on charges of publication of obscene material and domestic violence after pleaded guilty to all three charges last Wednesday and was convicted on her own plea by the court.

Her lawyer, Andrew Vortia had made a mitigation plea to ask for a more lenient punishment.

Mr. Vortia maintained that the custodial sentence handed out was harsh.

“The mitigating factors in her favour are greater than the aggravating factors. When you consider this offence, it is not rape. It is not murder. It is a misdemeanour in which she could have been dealt with lightly,” he said.

The lawyer also questioned the lack of concern for Rosemond Brown’s seven-year-old son.

“Social welfare should have been bought in. We are protecting the child. The mother is gone, so who takes care of the child? Absolutely nothing was done to that effect,” Mr. Andrew said.

The judge, Christina Cann, bemoaned the spate of nudity on the Ghanaian social media space when she handed the sentence on Friday.

According to her, the punishment meted out to Rosemond Brown must serve as a deterrent to others.

Source:citinewsroom

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Post Categories

Trending